Bixby Youth Baseball 2016 Rules
Modified Coach Pitch 5U & 6U
The Bixby Youth Baseball instructional leagues are designed to enhance the enjoyment and learning experience of all participants. As such, we encourage sportsmanship and instructional learning over competition. We will not tolerate poor sportsmanship and/or abusive language. Coaches are also responsible for maintaining a safe environment for the kids. Coaches need to convey this information to the parents as well.
Rules as of Mar. 18, 2017
The 5U & 6U modified coach pitch baseball league is purely an instructional experience to introduce our youngest players to the game of baseball.
5U & 6U Modified Coach Pitch League Rules
- A player must not sit out two consecutive innings.
- All teams will bat the bench. Late arrivals will be inserted as the last batter.
- Any batted ball that hits the pitching coach is dead. The pitch does not count. (See 8.20 below)
- The pitching coach for each team will throw each batter 3 pitches. If the ball is not put into play then the batter can choose to take two more pitches from the coach or the batter can have two attempts to put the ball into play off of the batting Tee.
- Umpires shall call “Time” after every play and declare the ball dead. “Time” shall be called as soon as the lead runner is not attempting to advance. “Time” does not have to be called by the defense for the purpose of this rule.
Comment: When a runner stands off a base and “jukes” or “feints” back and forth, this is to be interpreted as “not attempting to advance” and “Time” shall be called.
- Coaches may interchange defensive players.
- Time limit – 1hr 15 min or 6 innings.
- Run Rule –7 runs per ½ inning.
- A defensive coach may stand in the outfield and coach players as long as he doesn’t interfere with the play of the game. If the umpire feels the coach is impacting the game negatively, he can remove him.
- Regulation 9”, 5oz USSSA baseballs will be used.
- Bentley Pre-Game warm-ups in the outfield only. No soft toss, heavy ball, or hitting into a net inside the fence on the baseball or softball fields. Please talk to your outfielders about digging holes in the outfield. Do not allow your players to hit into the fences or climb on them.
- Any coach or parent ejected from a game must leave the complex immediately for the rest of the game. If a fan or parent is ejected then the head coach will be ejected as well. If they are ejected after a game has completed, they must sit out the next game. If a player is ejected from a game, they must return to the bench and remove their uniform top for the remainder of that game. They may return for the next game unless the ejection occurred after the game has been completed. In that case, they must sit out the next scheduled game.
USSSA Rules Specific for 5U & 6U Modified Coach Pitch
8.01 Fair Ball Arc: There shall be a twenty (20) foot arc drawn from first (1st) baseline to third (3rd) baseline in front of home plate. A batted ball must go past this line to be a fair ball.
8.02 Safety Arc: There shall be a thirty (30) foot arc drawn from first (1st) baseline to third (3rd) baseline in front of home plate. Infielders must stay behind this line until the ball is hit.
8.03 Pitching Circle: There shall be a ten (10) foot diameter circle with the front edge at forty-two (42) feet from the rear point of home plate.
8.04 Pitcher’s Line: There shall be a line drawn from the pitcher’s circle to the safety arc.
8.04.A The pitching coach shall keep one foot on or straddle the pitcher’s line. The Coach can pitch anywhere in-between the 30’ Safety Arc and the 42’ Pitching Circle.
8.04.B The pitching coach shall not verbally or physically coach while in the pitching position
8.04.C The pitching coach shall position himself as not to be an obstruction to the defensive team on any possible play once the ball has been hit.
Rule 8.04.C Penalty: If a coach violates this rule after the ball is pitched, obstruction shall be called.
Rule 8.04.C Additional Penalty: If a coach violates this rule before the ball is pitched, First Offense: Warning; Second Offense: Removal of coach as the pitcher for the remainder of the game.
8.05 Pitching Coach: The Pitching Coach shall be an adult at least eighteen (18) years of age.
8.06 The catcher shall receive the pitch in the catcher’s box in a normal baseball manner. If in the Umpire’s judgment, the catcher is not receiving the ball in a normal baseball manner, there shall be a warning issued. If the act continues after the warning, the offending teams’ manager shall be ejected.
8.07 Ten (10) defensive players shall play in the field with four (4) outfielders. The fourth (4th) outfielder shall not assume an infield position. All outfielders shall stay behind the baseline.
8.08 The defensive player listed as pitcher shall not leave the pitching circle until the ball is hit.
Rule 8.08 Penalty: The play continues. After the play has ended, the offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play or no-pitch.
Rule 8.08 Additional Penalty: First Offense: Warning; Second Offense: Removal of player from the pitching position for the remainder of the game.
8.10 The Infield Fly Rule shall not be in effect at any time.
8.13 Bunting shall not be allowed.
8.15 A player may only be Intentionally Walked once per game by announcement from the defensive team.
8.16 Runners shall not lead-off or steal bases. A runner is out for leaving the base before the ball is hit or reaches home plate.
8.17 A courtesy runner for catcher of record only the previous inning may be used. The courtesy runner shall be the player that made the previous out. If no outs have been recorded in the game, the courtesy runner shall be the previous batter not on base. If the team batting has not played defense yet and a courtesy runner is used for a player, the player that was run for must assume the catching position the next inning. This scenario only applies in the first inning for the visiting team.
8.18 A team may score a maximum of seven (7) runs per inning.
8.20 When a batted ball hits the Pitching Coach, the following shall apply:
8.20.A If in the Umpire’s judgment, the coach did not make a legitimate attempt to avoid contact, the batter is declared out and no runners shall advance.
8.20.B If in the Umpire’s judgment, the coach did make a legitimate attempt to avoid contact, the ball becomes dead and a no-pitch is declared
8.21.A Any person committing or threatening physical violence will be ejected immediately and that person will be suspended from all the parks participating in interleague for the remainder of the current season. The board of the home park of the individual will determine additional consequences of such behavior and will attempt to notify the offender in writing prior to the beginning of the next baseball season.